Inspiration Boards: Miyazaki Films Pt. 2

7:04 PM


"Many of my movies have strong female leads -- brave, self-sufficient girls that don't think twice about fighting for what they believe in with all their heart. They'll need a friend, or a supporter, but never a saviour."

-- Hayao Miyazaki


In light of the Honorary Oscar that Hayao Miyzaki received this year, I decided to do yet another collection of inspiration boards based on some of the movies that I didn't get to cover in my last post.

Spirited Away:


When talking about Oscars, I have to include Spirited Away, which won Miyazaki his first Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film. This is also hands down my absolute favorite Miyazaki film. Storytelling on pointe, characters on pointe, animation on pointe... I think you get my point (oho, see what I did there?). For this board, I had to go with the young protagonist, Chihiro. I won't say much about this movie, because if you haven't watched it then you should probably stop reading this post and go watch it NOW, but strong independent female protagonists FTW (thank you, Miyazaki!!). Also, Haku was officially my first animated character crush. Just sayin'. 

Spirited Away - Chihiro


Castle in the Sky:



Castle in the Sky is one of Miyazaki's earliest works that provides some interesting commentary on the relationship between humans and technology. It features the female protagonist, Sheeta, who I have to say is one of the more graceful Miyazaki lead characters (just looking at that falling form!). She may also seem a bit more reserved than some the other protagonists, but she is without a doubt still smart, strong, and incredibly brave. I mean, a dude shoots two bullets close enough to her face that her hair gets cut and yet she STILL stands her ground. That's a whole lot of guts right there. 

Castle in the Sky - Sheeta


Princess Mononoke:


I find that for most guys that I talk to, Princess Mononoke ends up being their #1 favorite Miyazaki film (which kind of makes sense seeing that this is one of the few Miyazaki films with a male protagonist). Ashitaka is pretty awesome and all, but in terms of badassness, San is most definitely the winner. As mentioned before, Miyazaki features the best strong and independent female leads WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN. This film not only has one badass woman, but a whole town of them lead by an equally badass Lady Eboshi. What can I say, this movie has girl power written all over it. 

Princess Mononoke - Mononoke Hime



Feel free to mention your favorite outfit or favorite Miyazaki film in the comments below :). 

Thanks for reading!
- EAJ -

Cover photo credits: 1/2/3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe